It’s that time of year to do the awesome Jamie’s book survey! It’s a bunch of awesome questions about your year in books and I totally recommend making it yourself and then linking in the comments. Let’s do this!
1. Best book you read in 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
Oh my god this is a loaded first question, alright let’s do this:
High Fantasy Series: The Seven Realms by Cinda Williams Chima
High Fantasy: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo / Blood Red Road by Moira Young (I’m sorry guys I read way too much high fantasy I couldn’t choose
“Boy” Book: Insignia by S.J Kincaid
Historical: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, hands down.
Contemporary: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
Urban Fantasy: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Dystopian: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Romance: For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfruend
Best Sequel: The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
I think you guys can guess this one: Throne of Glass. I spent a really, really long time waiting for it and ended up waiting to put it down by page 50 and finally mustering up the courage to do it by 100.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
I’m going to go with Insignia because I am not the kind of person that likes “boy” books (I like kissing! A lot!) and yet I could not put this book down the entire time I was reading it.
Another one is probably Blood Red Road by Moira Young because I was sure I wasn’t going to be able to handle the written dialect but I ended up devouring that whole book in like three hours.
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Graceling by Kristin Cashore, no surprise,
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
Oh my god The Seven Realms series hands down. I recommend that series to everyone ever.
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
I will read anything Leigh Bardugo and Cinda Williams Chima write FOREVER AND EVER
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I feel like a broken record but Insignia; I AM TRYING TO TELL YOU TO READ INSIGNIA. Seriously boys + video games + hardly any romance is not my comfort zone, hah.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Probably Code Name Verity; I ended up staying up until like five in the morning and falling asleep in my math class because of that book!
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Probably Grave Mercy by Robi La Fevers; it was so poetic and brilliant and badass.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
oh this is easy:
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Raisa from Seven Realms Series because I absolutely love her and her quick wit and her ability to make decisions under pressure, Tom from Insignia because he shows that a main character doesn’t always have to be likable to be amazing, and Widdershins from Thief’s Covenant because she is just really freaking awesome.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo and Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein share this spot for different reasons. The world-building and the character construction is flawless in S&B but in Code Name Verity, the plot is so amazing woven I couldn’t help putting it on here.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Wow, I’m going to cheat a little because I’m going to count a manga as a book just for this one question and say Fullmetal Alchemist. Aside from the fact that a large part of my life now revolves around this story (mostly my tumblr life and the friends I’ve made through it) but it is just such a heart-wrenching, timeless, classic story about brothers and fighting for what’s right even when you want something else, and sacrifice and I can spend all day talking about it so let’s keep going.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Oh man, Eon and Eona by Alison Goodman! April and Pam had been telling me to read it for ages and I didn’t listen!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
Oh. Freaking. God.
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”
“There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There’s .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I’m likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”
– The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
“I am no longer afraid of getting old. Indeed I can’t believe I ever said anything so stupid. So childish. So offensive and arrogant.
But mainly, so very, very stupid. I desperately want to grow old.”
– Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
“They were like two pieces of a failed star, drawn together by a shared history and a memory of illicit kisses.”
– The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
Longest — probably The Diviners by Libba Bray and every page was brilliant
Shortest — Speechless by Hannah Harrington, I think.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
THE ENDING OF PANDEMONIUM BY LAUREN OLIVER FOR SURE I WANTED TO SCREAM FROM THE HEAVENS THAT I KNEW THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
wow no i’m not answering this one sorry; my favorite thing about books are inter-character relationships so pass (but I can name two for sure: Maddie and Verity from Code Name Verity and Amon and Raisa from The Seven Realms Series — both of those unromantically! Ha!)
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater considering I’ve read all of her books.
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
Definitely Novel Sounds; their features are awesome and the girls who run it are awesome and everything is awesome!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
It was likely my review of Code Name Verity because I wrote it immediately after I finished because I was so awed and inspired and I was typing through my tears.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Oh god I never save them but I’m just going to link Word For Teens because every single one of her discussion posts are thought-provoking and flawless. (also she is flawless I love you Nicole)
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Probably the Tahereh Mafi, Lauren Oliver, Dan Wells signing I went to earlier in the year; they were all amazing! Also Tahereh is a freaking sweetheart.
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
Gah, it’s really hard sometimes to pinpoint a moment because my favorite moments while book blogging are just those moments where I get to partake in discussions with people on here or on twitter; it makes me so happy!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
It’s likely my “5 Stages of Reading A Good Book” post; I did it really spur of the moment and I went huge! (this is me not counting my Insurgent giveaway during the Insurgent campaign because DAMN)
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Funnily enough, it is also one of my favorite discussion posts I’ve done, Special Snowflake Theory.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I HAD JUST DISCOVERED ETSY THIS YEAR BEAUTIFUL WEBSITE.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I told myself I was going to break 100 but I haven’t been keeping count so now I have to do all of that but hopefully I surpassed it.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
One day I’ll read Harry Potter, guys.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
Oh my god that is way too long and complicated of a list I would probably sell my soul for the sequel of Shadow and Bone.
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
I’m not going to answer this because I always do a resolutions post on the 31st so you must wait!
And it’s it for me! Go ahead and head on over to the survey and awesome the questions! Happy Reading!